Question
Posted by: Sunshine | 2012/06/12

best small dogs for children

Hi there,

What are the best breed of dogs to have as a pet for a family with little kids?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Sunshine - love your nickname! This would depend a lot on the age of the children. Research shows that a child, on average,should be 7 years of age before getting a dog, especially if this is a first time dog.

I am not trying to put you off getting a dog at all, but would rather you do a lot more research into this decision first, rather than only coming to realize how time consuming and how much work is involved, especially for the first few months of the dogs life, rather than a decision is made too quickly and the dog ends up being rehomed or becomes another statistic in a shelter, or worse.

I am putting in links to three articles on my free website and also suggest you download the BEFORE you Get a Puppy free book by canine expert and vet Dr. Ian Dunbar. The articles are a. how much dogs really cost in today's society and b. . the best dog for a child. c. Questions to ask yourself before getting a puppy.
If you are still going forward with the decision to get one, why not consider adopting a dog where the family is relocating or down sizing and then the basic work will have been done for you. There are thousands of dogs like this looking for homes and you will be able to choose one that has lived with, and had a good relationship with children already. Good luck, thanks Scotty
http://www.friendsofthedog.co.za/whatrsquos-the-best-dog-for-kids.html
http://www.weebly.com/weebly/main.php
to get the book, go to home page and click on the download. site is www.friendsofthedog.co.za

3
Posted by: Big Dog Lover | 2012/09/10

Ryan I absolutely agree with U. We had 2 Bullmastiffs at different times when our kids were young + although they r big emmensely powerful animals they are wonderful with children. They r gentle, love to play with kids + very protective. They also don''t need an eccessive amount of excercise + are cool, calm + do not get overly excited. Our best watchdog combination we ever had was a Dobie + Bullmastiff together, both were spayed females.

Reply to Big Dog Lover
Posted by: ryan | 2012/08/30

best breed i can think of is a bullmastiff which you can get way before a child is 7, an age that is absolutely ridiculous to get your first dog, as more problems will arise as a result of this silly fad than anything else. I took my families bullmastiff for walks when i was six! I was quite safe as anybody got a warning growl if they ventured too close!

Reply to ryan
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012/06/13

http://www.weebly.com/weebly/main.php

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert