Posted by: John | 2009-02-07

Best oils

Hi DietDoc

I am a bodybuilder and would like to know what the best oil is to use to get my omega' s. Allot of guys use mac nut oil. What is the omega ratio of that oil.

Also is the ratio' s in mac nut oil much better than the ratios in flax and fish oil. Im currently supplementing with fish oil (the real thing).

Thanks John

Dear John
I reckon you are using the right source of omega-3 fatty acids if you are using salmon oil capsules. I have not got the omega ratio of mac oil (do you mean macadamia nut oil by the way?) as it is not usually listed as a potent source of omega-3. Plant sources of omega-3 contain a fatty acid called alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) which first has to be converted by the human body to EPA and DHA which are the biologically active omega-3 fatty acids that occur in fish oils.
Stick to your salmon oil capsules.