Posted by: John | 2009-02-07

Best oil

Hi DietDoc

I am a bodybuilder and would like to know what the best oil is to use to get my omega'  s. Allot of guys use mac nut oil. What is the omega ratio of that oil.

Also is the ratio'  s in mac nut oil much better than the ratios in flax and fish oil. Im currently supplementing with fish oil (the real thing).

Thanks John

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi John

I’m not sure if you are referring to macadamia nut oil or is it actually a product?

Fish oil is certainly the best to use as with the current westernized diet we seem to get far more of the omega 6 oils than what we need, and far too little of the omega 3 oils. The ratio should be around 2:1 however; it is usually about 20:1. This is because we do not consume fatty fish like salmon / sardines / mackerel about 4 times per week.

Flax oil has a combination of omega 3, 6 and 9. Thus only supplement with pure fish oil (salmon) capsules if your diet contains other oils e.g. sunflower, olive / olive oil, nuts and seeds. Also make sure you take at least 3 x 1000mg per night with your evening meal.

Take care.