Question
Posted by: Depro mommy | 2009-01-19

Best meds for depression

Dear Doc
Please help me. I am 31 years old and have a two year old and a 5 month old baby.
I am quite depressed (very much actually). Friends and family are saying that they are worried and I must admit I am also worried.
I took the test on this site and it said that I am clinically depressed. The stress test also said that I am anxious and that me health will suffer (it is already!).

My GP prescribed Prohexal after my youngest was born, because I was feeling very low after I almost died after the C-section (uncontrolled bleeding) and struggling to keep head above water with the two small children. It was only for two months. My iron levels are fine now.

Before I fell pregnant in 2007 I was on Nuzak - so this is long time coming... ...

I think I am feeling like this because I am not getting enough sleep and have no time for myself -taking care of the little ones. Also I love my work and miss professional life and earning a nice income.
I used to have a very full life, but now I am just a incubater and milk machine!
I love my family very, very much and want to get better for their sake too.
I know this is only a phase and that it will pass - just tough getting through it feeling tired and run down.
My poor husband is also paying the price, because I have zero libido.

Furthermore I am gaining weight and this is making me even more sad and depressed!!! I think it is because I comfort eat and do not have time to excercise. I am constantly ravenous!

I understand that I need to make lifestyle changes and am in the process of doing so (join the gym, send kids to daycare 8-12).

I live in a rural town and am dependent on my GP to treat me.

What medication would you reccomend? I am still breastfeeding my little baby and do not want to stop now.
Would Nuzak, Prohexal or something else be best?

Kind regards.
Depro mommy

You do indeed sound Depressed, and this may be a PND ( a depression arising after the birth of your first child ) which has become chronic. We vary in our response to specific antidepressants, but some also cause a loss of libido, as Depression itself does.
But also seek Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, a very effective method of counselling / psychotherapy which is dandy for Depression and many other conditions, and doesn't take very long.
Attend to the diet --- maybe seek out other things to keep in your fridge to snack on when you get the munchies, and which are not fattening.
I think Nuzak and Proxehal are the same basic antidepressant. There are many others around which may help you if this one does not ( after a month at normal levels of it ), and your own doctor should be able to suggest alternatives --- and ask for those which have generic versions ( like Prohexal and Nuzak are genercis) --- equivalent but cheaper versions.