Question
Posted by: J | 2011/03/21

Best Medication for terrible anxiety

Hi Doc, Hope you are well.Wondering if you can help/

I constantly have a terrible pain in my chest, I have been to the psychiatrist and have been seeing a psychologist for close to two years now. I have terrible anxiety , its a physical feeling in my heart , it feels like a pressing feeling constantly. The psychiatrist build me up to 30mg of cipralex, It seams to help about 40%. After constant observation and trips to the dermatologist I have concluded that cipralex seams to be affecting my hair, it seams it is thinning.
I have been feeling terrible anxiety s my whole life, and the coincidence is too great that it can be stress related ect. Anxiety is my biggest problem. I asked the psychiatrist if there are any other meds i could take to ease the anxiety, she recommends that SSRis are the best bet for me? I have read about Buspar? I would like to check with you are SSRis the only cure for GAD? and terrible anxiety?

Thanx!

J

Hello J,
I assume thaT you have had a physuical check-up to be sure there is no likely physical cause for the chest pain ? I haven't come across Cipralex affecting the hair, but its probably rather more widely used than it needs to be, when there are so many alternatives. SSRI's are absolutely NOT the only major treatment for anxiety. Other varieties of drugs also used to treat depression, like SSRI's, but not SSRI's, also help. It is wise to avoid the benzo's which are sedative tranquillizers and can lead to dependency.
Some meds also used as antipsychotics help some people with severe anxiety.
One hardly seems to hear about Buspar ( Buspirone ) these days, but it definitely effective, where available, in treating anxiety, without the risk of dependency. It's gentler and slowe in the onset of its full effects, and one should expect to assess its eventual helpfulness after 2 weeks or so.
And quite apart from medication, Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, CBT, a specific form of counselling / psychotherapy can be highly effective in treating anxiety and in giving you control over your stress and your responses to it.

1

Hello J,