Posted by: Trish | 2009-04-15

Best medical Scheme?

Hi doc, I just wanna find out something regarding a hospital plan. I' m 20, female. My parents are on a hospital plan but when i reach 21 I' ll be taken off it . I wanna use this time to find a good medical scheme but not something my pocket cant afford. The company that my Bf works for pays the medical aid for all the monthly paid staff but since my bf is new &  is being sent on course' s, he is on weekly paid at the moment so we need to look for something affordable. im a fairly healthy person &  not on chronic medication but i do want to mainly take out a cove for when i have a baby or if i end up hospitalized. What would be the best medical scheme for me. I don' t earn much so i wouldn' t be able to pay cost over 1,000. I would also like to put my bf on it but im not sure if that' s allowed if we not married yet?

Dear Trish
You have to compare the different schemes - look on
Some schemes will allow a partner even if you are not married

Posted by: DW | 2009-04-15

I also recently went onto medical aid. My company does not pay any portion, so I have to pay the full amount. I did a lot of research and I found that Oxygen had the best deal for me. I am a single healthy males, and the option I took costs me R1130 /month but has unlimited hospitial cover, and a basic day to day limits.

Reply to DW
Posted by: Tes | 2009-04-15

We just changed from Oxygen core (R2200) which is a basic hospital plan to Medihelp, for family of 3 that covers hospital and a few other odds and ends, for R1450. Medihelp is really great and so helpful. I hope you come right, as many medical aids seem to rip people off  -)
good luck,

Reply to Tes