Question
Posted by: Angie | 2012-03-27

Best excersise for weight loss

Hi Doc,

1st question is: In your opinion, what is the best excersise for weight loss?
2nd question: Does walking work for weight loss or even toning at all, or is wlking for fitness a bit of a waste of time?

Hi Angie

Well, that's a very open question, because there isn't a best exercise for weight loss. The reality is that the best exercise is the one you do, whether it's swimming or running or walking or cycling or aerobics. The problem is, I could tell you that running burns the most calories per minute (which is true), but if you hate running and do only 15 minutes of it before you stop, then this is irrelevant because you'd be better doing 45 minutes of aerobics, which you love (for example). So don't worry about theory - do what you enjoy!

Second question - yes it does. Anything that uses muscle does work for tonight and weight loss. But obviously, there are different degrees of achieving the same result. If you run or do weight training, you use more muscle, at a higher intensity, than walking and so 30 minutes of running would produce a greater response than 30 min of walking. But, there is a downside in that you might also be an increased risk of injury. And perhaps you can't do as much.

So the short answer is "yes", the long answer is that you still need to look at all the elements and make sure you're training enough, not just doing the right things!

Ross

1
Posted by: karin de jager | 2012-03-28

I''m desperate I run 4km every second day and yoga every alternative day I''m desperate for a nutrition plan I need to lose last 3kg and can''t get it off can you give me a strict plan! I would be sooo greatful!x

Reply to karin de jager