Question
Posted by: clotting | 2012-01-11

Best contraceptive for POS sufferer with risk of blood clot

Hi doc.
I am 31 years old and was diagnosed with polysystic ovarian syndrome last year, although it appears that I may have been suffering with this since high school.

I was on the pill (melodene) since 17 for about 10 years. I stopped using it because I started experiencing very bad headaches and both my mom and grandmother suffered from clotting-related disorders.

I am engaged to be married and need to start looking at safe birth control. I don''t trust the use of a condom alone and would feel better if we had additional protection.

But the pill poses a heightened risk of clotting and, already suffering from mild acne and unwanted hair growth due to POS, I am afraid that the mirena might make make it worse.

Are you still supposed to get your period while on the mirena? I have a friend who has not had a period in years (while on the mirena), but she seems healthy and happy with the product.

Is there a birth control option that would be safe for me?

You could use a copper IUCD but the management of PCOS actualy relies on the Pill, apart from its birth control effects. You should be tested for heriditary clotting disorders and, if these are negative, You could use the Pill and take precautions in at risk situations such as air travel.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2012-01-12