Question
Posted by: michelle | 2012/07/12

best brand of pellets to feed dog

Please can you advise as to the best brand of dog pellets (based on it''s ingridients) to feed my ridgeback (price not an issue).

Hi Michelle
I would advise that you feed one of the premium foods such as Royal Canin, Hills, Eukanuba etc.
Kind regards
Angus Campbell

9
Posted by: Laura | 2015/07/30

Hello I have done a lot of research on the matter. Canadian GRAIN FREE NON GMO organic Orijen seems the best followed by Acana and Earthborn, if you don't mind the price. I have two large breeds so it becomes quite expensive so currently i am researching Woolthworth's first choice . Their posh pets seem to be ok. TRY TO FIND GMO AND GRAIN FREE ( EVEN FOR YOURSELF!!!!)

Reply to Laura | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Mich G | 2015/08/23

Hi Laura, At which store would I find this Canadian GMO & grain free brand? Thank you.

Posted by: Laura | 2015/07/30

Reply to Laura
Posted by: Graeme | 2015/03/19

Hills is the best to feed in the world.What goes into your rodents if you feed them to reptiles,also efects them.Stay clear of Eukanuba it cases cancer in animals.Seen it in dogs and mice.

Reply to Graeme
Posted by: ICE | 2012/07/26

I agree with Frankie

Don''t be fooled into buying the " premium"  brands sold at the vet.

Look at what is the first ingredients listed. If the first three or four are all grains, don''t buy it.

What are the protein sources - chicken, turkey, white fish meal etc. (in other words, real MEAT sources of protein) is good. Protein sources such as alfalfa, wheat gluten and soya protein is not.

Dogs don''t need grains. But it is difficult to find dog foods that contains no grains. Barley, oats and rice are generally better tolerated than wheat and maize (if you dogs tends to get an itchy skin, don''t give him foods with wheat or maize in it).

My favourite expensive brand is " Earthborn Holistic"  (available from upmarket petshops). The basic formula (Adult vantage) contains grains, but only barley, rice and oats, not the other two. Earthborn Holistic " Adult vantage"  is about the same price as the foods you can buy from the vet (Hills, Royal Canin etc.), but better quality. Grain free formulas (e.g. Earthborn Holistic " Primitive natural"  does not contain any grains, only starches from sources such as sweet potato. These formulas are more expensive than the " vetshop"  brands. Propac manufactures Earthborn holistic, and the ordinary Propac formulas are also not bad - although it does contain maize and less veggies and fruit than Earthborn Holistic - protein sources still only good real-meat sources such as chicken, turkey, white fish. Propac is slightly less expensive than the Earthborn Holistic range.

My favourite less expensive brand is Woolworths'' " First Nutrition" . Main protein source is chicken, but some protein from alfalfa. Grains include maize. About a quarter of the price of Earthborn Holistic " Adult vantage"  (thus about R150 for 6 kgs), but obviously much more widely available than Earthborn Holistic as every Woolworth store with a Food section has it. In my opinion, Woolworth''s " First Nutrition"  is better quality than Hill''s, Royal Canin etc. - just check the ingredients - these foods are heavy on grains and grain-based protein sources (not good for dogs.)

Reply to ICE
Posted by: CyberVet | 2012/07/19

Hi Michelle
Kind regards
Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Frankie | 2012/07/13

Actually, you CAN go wrong. The marketing of especially the premium brands of petfood in this country is all screwed up - the suppliers like to control the market so that people believe exactly what has been said here. Go and read the ingredients lists of the various brands.... IF you can find them. One in particular has recently decided to provide only a generic list of ingredients on both their packaging and their websites.... I WONDER WHY...????? This is one of the so-called PREMIUM brands, by the way...

You also need to be careful of how and what you get when you google this stuff... one brand in SA uses exactly the same product name as a US brand, but there is no relation between the two, so do not be misled!

There is plenty of skulduggery involved in all of this. What one should do is use one''s noggin - get something with a good reputation, and monitor your dog''s condition. If he''s doing well, healthy, fit, full of energy, stick with whatever you are doing. If not... switch to something else.

Reply to Frankie
Posted by: Pamela | 2012/07/13

If price is no object just go to the vets shop and buy the most expensive one. That way you cant go wrong.

Reply to Pamela | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/06/15

Lol, this is why people buy macs