Posted by: Pepper | 2009-03-10

berry jam

Dear Dietdoc

Are the " good things"  like antioxidants etc in berries preserved in berry jam (youngberry, raspberry for example) or does the processing destroy them? I' ve read about how healthy berries are but it' s not something that' s available fresh or frozen where I live. I assume the Vitamin C will be lost in cooking but if the other things are preserved in jam it would make me very happy. :-)

Dear Pepper
The process of making jam does not only expose vitamin C in berries to long cooking periods at high temperatures, but also to oxygen degradation when the fruit is cut up or minced. So according to the SA Food Tables 100g portions of fresh berries contain between 25 and 57 mg of vit C, while jams only contain 7 mg of vit C per 100g (and the usual portion size od jam is not more than 30g or 1 tablespoon). I don't know where you live, but you may be able to purchase dried fruit and long-lasting fruit juices to provide you with vitamin C and other important phytonutrients found in fruit such as lycopene. Dried guava roll for example contain 747 mg of vit C per 100g, so even if you only eat 10g a day you will be getting your total daily vit C requirement. Guava juice (buy in packages or tins) will provide 78 mg of vit C per 100 ml.