Question
Posted by: Iza | 2011/10/12

Berkram Yoka

Doc, I've heard about Berkram Yoga and am interested in trying it. i have a severe peripheral neuropathy, will it help

Expert ImageYoga

It is worth trying a class or two and seeing how you feel. Bikram yoga is a very physical based yoga and done in a heated room, with possible benefits of this being increased blood flow in the tissues. However peripheral neuropathy can be made worse by trauma to the body, and it is easy to overdo this style because the heated room may allow movements that your body should not be performing and may further traumatise the peripheral nerves. The classes are usually big without to much personal attention, so it is essential that you monitor yourself and not push yourself too much. If you are in good shape AND HAVE GOOD BODY AWARENESS, it should be ok but if you are not in the best shape or are new to body awareness, I would recommend a more gentle style of Hatha yoga to begin with (Satyananda yoga or Sivananda yoga), which I'm sure would improve symptoms if practiced correctly and regularly. Yoga only works as a therapy if practiced on a daily basis, which usually means practicing at home as well.

2
Posted by: cassandra collins | 2011/11/09

I believe that Bikram has its place but the quality of some of the teachers is questionable. As you say it is way better to explore all the styles and find a teacher that resonates with YOU before committing to just one as a newby to Yoga.
Namaste''
Cass

Reply to cassandra collins
Posted by: yoga | 2011/10/19

Reply to yoga