Question
Posted by: Jade | 2010/03/16

Bereavement counsellor

Good day

I am struggling to find a therapist who specialises in grief counselling. I am under the care of a psychologist and on Wellbutrin after losing my sister, but I am struggling to overcome losing her.

Does anyone know of a reputable grief counsellor in Jhb North?

OK, if you are already under the care of a competent PSYCHOLOGIST, that psychologist ought to be capable of providing grief counseling as well. Otherwise you are most likely to find referral to a counsellor experienced in grief matters bu asking your local hospice.
I'm wondering whether you might be seeing a Psychiatrist rather than a psychologist, as a psychologist cannot prescribe medicines. Wellbutrin is a useful antidepressant drug for treating Depression, but is useless in treating grief.

3
Posted by: Jade | 2010/03/16

Thank you CS and anon

I am under the care of a psychologist who recommended the prescription of Wellbutrin. He didn''t prescribe it to me.I was previously on Cipralex and this had no effect at all so I''m now trying ahlernatives.

I have now seen 2 psychologists for extended periods of time and at first I found them helpful, however I feel like I don''t want to dwell on the past, I rather want to learn how to overcome the frief and find ways to move on with my life.

Thanks for the advise anon, I live right there and will most definitely give it a try.

Reply to Jade
Posted by: anon | 2010/03/16

You could try the counselling centre at BMC (Bryanston Methodist Church), they have some very good counsellors that specialise in a range of things.
www dot bmc dot org dot za
Look under Ministries ->  Counselling house.

All the best!!

Reply to anon