Posted by: Jenn | 2009-02-23

Benefits, is it law?

I just have a question about the benefits that some companies give their workers. I work for a huge company. I' ve been here for 6 years now on a permanent basis. When I started out here we were told that there are no benefits. We should get our own medical, and pension funds if we want to.
My husband just got his medical aid through his job and his boss told him that medical aid is surposed to be given by all companies. Is this true? The company I work for is a private company. We work normal times, 8-5. We don' t get overtime because it is our choice to stay later than usual. We have 1 hour lunch and 21 days annual leave. Are we surposed to have some benefits or is it still the choice of the company to give any?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

There is no law that states that the Company must put you on a medical aid. If it is offered to other employees and not offered to you then this could be discriminatory. It is still the choice of a company to offer benefits or not.