Posted by: Tbg | 2009-01-26

Good day,

I`ve just been informed that I qualify for an unpaid maternity leave as I`ve just joined a new company on permanent basis- started on the 01 of Dec. 2008 was unemployed for about 7 months before I started working- now my question is do I qualify for claiming maternity benefits (UIF)?if yes, when`s the soonest can I apply at the Dept. of Labour? I`m worried about my contributions to Provident fund and Medical Aid- what`s going to happen when I`m on maternity leave as i terms of paying?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

You need to contact UIF to ascertain as to when you would be eligible for benefits.

Posted by: Tbg | 2009-01-27

I`ve never claimed for any benefits before and I was contributing on my previous employers- since 1999 when I started working. It`s only in April 2008 when I voluntarily resigned and got a recent job in Dec. 2008. So in other words you need to be working for a certain period of time in order to be eligible for benefits?

Reply to Tbg