Question
Posted by: Brenda | 2010/11/17

Belly ring Infection

My Belly ring is infected. Had extreme pain, a lump between the top ball and the stone and a slight discharge. Called the piercing place and they told me to take antiflammotories and to put a broadspectrum topical cream on and to go and see them. I however was in so much pain that I could not bear it and removed the ring. Whilst doing so a lot of pus came out. The whole stomach area was sensitive to touch. I put Xtraxit on and covered it up. I went in to see them in the morning. They said it wasn''t necessary to remove the ring and said not to use the Xtaxit. They cleaned up the area and put another dressing on and said continue with antiflammoties and topical cream but to leave it open. Said I must come back in 10 days if there is not further problems. Should I go see a Doc or is this advise good enough.

Hallo Brenda
The problem with a belly ring is that the skin is very close to the abdominal cavity at that area near the navel. So if the infection is local, just tender at that spot, red or draining pus, it is ok to treat it with an antibiotic cream like Bactroban. However if the whole tummy is sore and you can't walk upright, and you feel feverish or get cold shivers you need to see a doctor as soon as possible because then the infection has spread to the inside.

2
Posted by: Al | 2010/11/17

You need to go and see the doctor asap, or you could end up with nasty scarring, or even a systemic infection (worst-case scenario). If there was a lot of pus and your whole stomach was tender, then the infection is probably quite bad already, and you will need more than just anti-inflammatories - probably at the least an antibiotic cream. Better safe than sorry.

Reply to Al
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/11/17

Hallo Brenda