Posted by: Pieter van Niekerk | 2011-09-01

Bells palsy

I have been diagnosed with Bells Palsy. I started to get severe pain in my neck and behind my ear. Two days later when I woke up the left side of my face was completely paralysed. I cannot move any muscles on the left side of my face and is unable to close my left eye. My GP put me on antiviral meds and cortisone pills. I have since tried physio and an infrared light but to no success. It has been more than 2 months already with no noticable improvement. Is there anything I can do to quicken the recovery. Please help.

Unfortunately, there is nothing that you can do to speed up your recovery. Consult your doctor to re-evaluate your condition. It can take up to six months to a year to recover. There is a possibility that you may not recover, in which case, you can be treated with facial surgery to blemish the effect of paralysis.