Question
Posted by: Mike | 2008/07/02

Bells palsy

I have recently been diagnosed with bells palsy. I am still waiting to see the neurologist on thursday. I have been stressing having read some articles on the symptoms ect.

I have notice that they mention that if the bells palsy has developed over more than 3 weeks you likely to have a tumour. This has freaked me out. I am 29 I have noticed of the past 3 months to year that every so often my lips would tingle sometime the side of my face would go numb. Every so often i would wake up with a droopy eye and feeling like i had a majour sinus, behind my eyes i had piercing pains into my brian.

This would come and go, however they have not been frequent except for the droopy eye and sinus feeling.

I then when to the doctor when I lost taste and my left side of my face became paralised inclusive of my forehead with very limited movement.

I have not had and cold sores even when a child. I do not have any mouth sores.
I was wondering if anything else other than a tumour can cause the symptoms i have experienced overtime to the point now.

I was told that they would only send me to a neurologist if the doctor thought i have a tumour.

Could you please advise me on this. I have been prescribe prelone 5mg 7 tabs per day for 5 days if that gives you any clue as to why i have immediately been sent to the neurologist with a very limited exam of asking my to pull my face in certain ways and look in my mouth and immediately sent me to the neurologist.

could you please advise me on my questions.. Thank you for your time

Dear Mike
a tumour would cause very gradual deterioration of the muscles over months and would not cause symptoms that come and go. Most patients with Bell's palsy these days are sent to neurologists immediately because if you don't treat this optimally the chances are that you may have residual loss of movement in the face. I have not ever seen a facial palsy due to a tumour in the 23 years that I am a doctor, so I think this is quite rare. The tingling and pain and numbness symptoms can also be caused by a kind of migraine, but the symptoms are quite typical of Bell's palsy. The truth is that we often do not find a specific cause for the palsy and can't always say that it was caused by a virus. Rather wait until you had a proper full neurological examination, he may send you for Brainscan to exclude any problems in the skull or sinuses. Prognosis of Bell's palsy is good - With or without treatment, most individuals begin to get better within 2 weeks after the initial onset of symptoms and recover completely within 3 to 6 months. Please let me know what the neurologist said?

1
Posted by: Tina | 2009/03/02

What causes lack of taste at the back of my tonque?

Reply to Tina