Posted by: Tyrone | 2009-01-26

Bell' s Palsy

Doc, i was diagnosed approximately two weeks back with bell' s palsy on the RHS of my face [-previously (2 years ago) diagnosed with genital herpes and had an outbreak a few days ago].
I was put on pulmison and my sugar levels were monitored after a slight high reading was discovered during the hospital admission. At the same time I have been receiving physio sessions with UV, Ultra sound and ice treatment. To my doctor' s surprise now, the RHS has recovered but now the palsy symptoms are now found on my LHS. Im told this is rare and I have now been asked to do an HIV test and sarcoid Xray. The xray found nothing abnormal...will receive HIV results soon although I dont expect any HIV positive result as I have just taken this test. Doc, I would appreciate your advice or explanation of this situation. Will I recover from this. Should I enquire about other tests from my doctor?

Dear Tyrone
It is rare to develop Bell's on both sides of the face. (But nothing is impossible in Medicine!) Bell's palsy usually recovers in most patients. Your doctor will probably do a few more tests just to ensure that it is in fact Bell's palsy and not something else like an autoimmune disorder that affects the nerve sheaths. He may want you to go for a brain scan and some more blood tests for antibodies.