Question
Posted by: Pam | 2009/11/23

Bekommerde ma

My seun van 16 het by ' n atletiek klub aangesluit. Hy is baie fiks en oefen al lank. By die klub oefen hulle baie hard. Hy oefen so hard dat hy opbring en duidelig raak terwyl hy oefen. Is dit normaal of is daar fout?

Hi Pam

It's common in athletes who are training for high performance, actually. I remember in my own school days, there were people who got sick, light-headed and dizzy all the time. That doesn't mean it's good, but it also doesn't mean it's bad. It just means that he is pushing his body very hard.

What you have to be careful about is doign this too often. If you do, then it's possible to become overtrained and burned out, so the most important thing is to balance hard training with easy training. You can't train hard every day, there must be days of rest, days of easier training, and days where you train this hard.

So my advice to you is to monitor him and support his training, and maybe encourage him to relax on some days. it's difficult when there is a coach already, and your advice is not going to be taken seriously. But if you can be supportive, then it will help.

And lastly, diet is very important. If he's training that hard, he must eat well, or he'll burn out sooner, so it might be worthwhile to consult a dietician and get some meal options to support his training.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009/11/25

Hi Pam

Reply to fitnessdoc