Posted by: lebogang | 2009-10-05

being put in the frying pan

I luv my work and i have been her for 3 yrs and 7 months.

i started as intern and now I am working as hr practitioner.

my manager is a darling. and amongs others she is the reason i am still here. hence is want to tell her that im intending to resign in future and must do succession planning/have back up in case i leave.

the other practitioner joined us in apr 2009 and now she resigned.

our director likes to throw tantrums, and is making it easy to for me to resign. i had to stick around for all these years because i needed to gain experience, but now im enough.

he will say things like ' julle hr ppl is stupid and i will not sign for this advert or appointment'  he expresses himself in a loud, rude and intimidating communication. and you must agree to all that he says.

i have complained to the HR manager several times and he says I must work around him and accomodate him.

perhaps becos im sensitive i take things personal. i respect it is someone wants to voice his opinion but it must be done in a professional way.

i love my job and work until until 18h00 or 19h00, 3 times a week just to make sure that my work is up to date. i love our employees, care about them and also ensure that i contribute to company goals.

most of the times when give him documents for approval he shouts and say stupid HR process and will give a long negetive speech about things that do I do not have control on. i do not make company hrrules/policies for the company but half the time in a being put in the frying pan about them

we have a meeting with the hr manager tomorrow and to talk about all issues like we always do.

but as for me i have made my mind that if i get an offer im out of here. i started applying for jobs today. im gonna tell her that im gonna resign if i get offer. if this affect my bonus/salary increase...i do not care. my happiness comes first

i do not know, perhaps im overreacting? or just a stupid hr clerk like we are called here.

Ironically, it's not merely years of experience that adds to your effectiveness in HR, but you now know what many workers have to deal with, coping with a dumb, unprofessional, crude and incompetent boss / director. Sounds like everything else about the job suits you well enough. Maybe just sit down and discuss this with your pleasant boss, who must know exactly what you're dealing with, and may have some useful suggestions. It's your boss's task to protect you and others from the shouting and rudeness of this guy. Why not continue looking for a fool-free place to work, and discuss THAT with your direct boss or supervisor when that option arises, rather than warning them ahead of time ?
Sounds like even the external recuitment person recognized this guy for the idiot he is. Let's hope he reports it higher up and recommends that something be done about this guy's offensive and excessive behaviour.

Posted by: almost mad | 2009-10-06

Say nothing to know one until you have another job...that means signed and been accepted.

Reply to almost mad
Posted by: lebogang | 2009-10-06

we just had a meeting now with HRM, director and an external recruitment person. after the meeting the recruitment person asked me aside and said. why does you director likes to swear so much? "  at the meeting he says things like hr ppl are a bunch of criminals, they come up with stupid approval forms and tell me that its an hr process. please tell me if im brain dead like them" 

im so committed to my job, sometimes i come saturdays and im never paid anything for overtime. its a company policy that no overtime will be paid for and im ok.

i will hang in there until i get an offer. the HRM is like a mother to me and i just wanted to warn her that I will leave once I get an offer. but i will keep quiet cos it might create problems.

already im underpaid at R15k gross per month. but hey thank for the advice.

Reply to lebogang
Posted by: Really | 2009-10-06

Seeing that you have a horrible boss, I think the best thing to do is to wait untill you have a signed and sealed job offer from another company to actually tell your boss that you are resigning, otherwise, he will make life so hard or even look for reasons to have you fired, and you still don' t have a job.

Pull yourself together and hang on untill you get a new job.

You are not overreacting.

All the best

Reply to Really