Posted by: SM | 2009-04-03

Being Gay

I really need your help!
There has been a lot of talk about being gay and being healed etc. Think their is even a website for ex-gays. What is your feeling about this! Do you think people really go from being gay to being str8!? I am very confused and really do not know what to do or who to see! I hate my life at this stage and can not remember when I last I was happy! I am not out yet and come out of a VERY conservative family! I am in Bloem and battle to get to a shrink that I can really trust and that can help me deal with my problem! Please help!!
Thanks for you forum and your time!!

VERY few pople "go from being gay to being straight" --- just as very few people go from being straight to being gay. It's a cultish fad among some religious fringes to claim that this can or should happen. Now, peole, straight or gay, may find at times that they hate their life --- that can and should be fixed. And, guessing that youre a teenager or young 20's, its normal to be confused and unsure, whether about orientation, purpose in life, or most other aspects of an eventiually stable life. Counselling would indeed be a good idea. I don't know Bloemfontein, but there should be someone who can help you. Maybe FAMSA might know --- or check online for some South African gay websites, I gather there are several, and see if they can advise . A substanial poportion of men and women are born gay, as naturally as most of us are born straight ; and that can be a valid way to live, though it does meet more than it's share of prejudice and difficulties