Question
Posted by: Wesley | 2012/06/01

being anxious while driving

I would like to know if there is a type of medication(with immediate affects) i can take, that can take away the adrenaline/anxiety feeling i get when i begin a Driving exam. I have already being through two prior exams in wich i have failed in the yard due to a sudden rush of anxiety i get wich therefore causes me to stress and leads to me doing stupid mistakes whilst im attending to drive the vehicle. I heard that taking a disprin before hand, causes a less nervousness(could this be true). Please help!! i am capable of driving and have being for awhile but the moment i step into a vehicle with a examiner, the nerves start to take over.

Thanks doc

Not the best way of dealing with it. In various forms of performance anxiety, the best treatment of all would be CBT, Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, a special form of counselling that would help you learn to control such nervousness as arises, and to change your mind-set so as not to allow such situations to make you nervous. You can, in CBT, learn specifically to be calm and efficient when in the car and with an assessor or examiner. You jhave learned to be very anxiious in this situation, and can unlearn that.
The only med that might help a bit, would be a beta-blocker, usually used for blood pressure and heart problems, but which, while leaving you free to get as psychologically anxious as ever, helps to calm the body - less racing pulse, less sweating, less trembling, if those are a significant part of the problem that arises for you.
TOo many GPs would give you a sedative tranquillizer like Valium, but the problem there is that they can make you sleepy, drop performance, worse concentration, slower reaction-times - itd be like driving drunk, which usually doesn't impress the examiner !

1