Question
Posted by: John | 2011/07/04

Being afraid of medications

Im afraid of medications even though I know I need them, I am terrified of changing a medication or increasing the dose, can an increase in dose cause any serious setback, assuming the med is working to some degree and the dose increase is within clinically studied ranges, logic tells me that it should be fine, but anxiety and logic dont mix.

Remember that NOT taking meications which are needed and recommended by a good doc, is far more risky than taking them - nothing in life is entirely free of risks. Its an question of slecting the best balance of risks and benefits.
There are no absolute rules. Any competent doc will know what doses to recommend and try. Usually, one starts at a lowish dose, and increases it to normal doses when the person is used to the first dose. There may be one or two steps of potential further rises in dose, but not more - usually, above a certain, known, level, further inceases in doses just increase the risk of annoying side-effects with NO increase in benefits. No competent doc would recommend any dose higher than is safe or useful.
YOu know this intellectually ; maybe some counselling would be useful to help get this and I suspect other areas where you may be inhibited by excess anxiety. into proportion ?

1