Question
Posted by: Ai tog | 2010/03/02

Being 30

so i''m a pretty active recently turned 30 year old female. i play netball, do long distance running, love working out but i also love eating. i seem to have gained 9kg since september??!!! it''s crazy!!

i can see that my lower body (i''m a pear shape) is a lot bigger but i think it''s because i wasn''t able to run for december and january (my shoes were giving me ITB). but now i also wonder if it''s because i started drinking protein shakes?? i drink a protein shake just before i work out and then i don''t eat until the next meal. my friends can''t really see that i''m a lot bigger ( i wonder if they''re not just trying to be polite though because i recently saw a picture that someone took of me while i was doing karaoke. i haven''t seen my backside in quite some time and to say it''s big would be an understatement - eek i say ... EEK!!)

could the protein shakes have an effect on my weight? or is my age??

Dear Ai Tog
Although people tend to slowly gain weight at the rate of about 1 kg per year as they grow older, I don't think the 9 kg you have gained since September are due to ageing! Please check the energy content of that protein shake. If you are using it to replace a meal and you don't want to gain weight with it, then the shake plus the liquid you mix it with (water of skim milk, etc) should not contain more than 2100 kJ per serving (e.g. 1 glass). If the shake contains more energy then you will know that this is what has been making you gain weight. However not being able to run long distances for 2 months can have the same effect. So check the protein shakes and if possible get back to running.

1

Dear Ai Tog