Posted by: Kate | 2009-02-17

Hi All

My new Labrador x puppy is 5 months old and my 2 Jacks are 3yrs old.
My male jack is top dog and after giving the puppy a good nip at 8weeks they are now inseperable.

Both Jacks sleep with me and the Lab sleeps on the floor next to my bed. Sometimes either or both Jacks will sleep on the floor too.
If the Lab happens to be on the bed my female Jack leaves the room. She will sometimes play with the puppy but exhibits a lot of dominant behaviour (humping and growling).

My male Jack will sometimes make the female Jack go sit in a corner (this has happened twice) while he plays with the puppy.

My question is about pecking order.
Has the male decided that the puppy will hold a higher position?
If so what steps should I follow to encourage a hopefully peacefull transition.
The puppy is quiet confident and as I said before is very attached to the male Jack.

Gosh the dynamics of 3 is quiet something

Dear Kate

The male Jack is still the top dog and this position he will fight for. The is only friendly now because the puppy is happy to be second in command. See how things develop.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-02-17

I see no mention of the gender of the puppy...

The best thing you can do is absolutely not interfere in the pecking order they have sorted out between them, and in fact to support it. From your perspective, it makes no difference (as long as you remain in charge!) and concepts of ' fairness'  simply don' t apply to dog thinking.

By support, I mean, give the most attention to the ' top'  dog, feed that one first, etc.

Reply to Chill