Question
Posted by: B | 2008/09/01

Behaviour in older cat

My cat is 17 and just lately has taken to becoming frantic when I want to sleep. She claws on the base of the bed and cries if I don' t react. Or she jumps on to the bed and scratches on my pillow or licks my nose - i simply cannot ignore her. Iinvariably when i do get up she runs out of the room almost as if she wants me to follow her. Needless to say I am not getting much sleep and even if i smack her it makes no difference. When she was younger she used to do this if I took a nap during the day but now it is a nightly thing. Please can you help ?

Dear B

Have her checked out and ask the vet to do a blood profile for kidney function. If normal buy a Feliway Diffuser. This can settle her back into her old routine.

3
Posted by: Shadow | 2008/09/03

Cats get senile when old, just like people! You' ll probably have to accept that your cat is extremely old and bound to be getting a bit childish :-)

Reply to Shadow
Posted by: My 2 cents | 2008/09/01

My cats are also 17 and usually when they behave erratically it' s when something is wrong or they' re bored. What happens when she wakes you? Do you follow her to see what the fuss is about? She might be trying to tell you something (I' m bored, I' m hungry, I' m sore). Also maybe take her for a check up. My kids odd behaviours have led to them telling me that all sorts of things were wrong, bladder infections, constipation etc. My little boy has me up at least 5 times a week at odd hours, but that' s because he' s bored being locked up inside. Don' t smack Kitty. Water bottle is true &  proven technique. Smacking kitty can cause internal damage &  unfortunatley the more frustrated you are the harder you might hit. Also if Kitty is locked up inside at night, cat' s being nocturnal, they can get a bit frustrated. Unfortunately older animals tend to become high maintenace. Does sound a bit strange that she does it only when you go to sleep though. Possibly just boredom. Good Luck.

Reply to My 2 cents
Posted by: Blommertjie | 2008/09/01

Smacking your cat probably won' t do the trick...please don' t do that.
Try keeping a spray bottle filled with water next to your bed, and whenever she does this give her a quick spritz, and tell her in a strong disapproving voice " no"  when ever she does do anything wrong use that same tone of voice, that should be different from your normal " loving"  voice and spritz her with the water. She' ll soon put 2 and 2 together.... Works like a charm with my 2 cats and now I don' t even have to spritz them anymore, I just show them the bottle :)

Reply to Blommertjie