Question
Posted by: Kathy | 2011/07/18

Behavior issues

I have 2 dogs with behavioral issues. The one is so nervous and scared of evrything. She is the one I worry about the most as she seems to mentally/emotionally shut down when she is scared and the flight instinct kicks in. She doesn''t seem to recognise even me - she just wants to run. She is 2 years old and I battle to socialise her. She is terrified of other dogs. The other one loves dogs, but is very wary of people. He also takes EXTREME exception to vets and anyone touching his feet (bad vet experience with toe nails and have never gotten over it)! I have heard so many good things about TTouch and was wondering if it could be used for these problems. Also, would it assist with getting them to walk calmly together. At the moment I have to walk them seperately. Thanks for any assistance.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Kathy, it is so terrible for an owner to see a dog like this, but thankfully she has a caring owner in you and yes, you have TTouch available to you! I daily see the unbelievable changes that occur in dogs when TTouch is 'added to the pot' and it never ceases to amaze me the difference this wonerful modality can make. what I would suggest as well is two things:-
1. Get hold of somebody that does TTouch and behaviour or bring in a TTouch Prac and a behaviourist. the reason I say this is that the manner in which you interact with your dogs and react to their behaviour has a profound effect on the outcome. TTouch alone will help but you need to be taught how to interact properly with your dogs in that they recognize you as a confident leader - this alone will help them to relax and cope better. If you are not sure how to go about this, please contact me via my e-mail and let me know where you stay and I will endeavour to put you in touch with somebody I know.
2. When you start the TTouch and modifications mentioned above, it may be a good idea to talk to your vet about the situation and consider getting the dogs a Good Behaviour Pheromone Collar or even going onto medication for a period of time to assist with these issues. The collar and medication alone wont solve all, it really is a matter of all 'tools' being used at once to bring about a resolution. Good luck, Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/07/19

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert