Question
Posted by: Lalia | 2011/03/04

Beginner runner - PAIN.....help!!!

i recently started following a training programme which teaches you to run 10kms in 12 weeks, i have started with this programme in this week. however, i started walking/jogging about 3 weeks ago. so this is my 4th week of exercising. the problem is - my knees hurt - not when i am walking/jogging etc but when i sit for too long. i have a desk job so i sit a lot. i get a dull pain in my knees when sitting and to alleviate it i usually crouch down (sit on my haunches) to get my knees to " pop"  which decreases the dull pain for that while. it actually is just more of an irritating " tight"  feelin g than a pain as such. however, i dont think that this popping action is healthy. could you offer any advice? also, i do sometimes suffer with lower back pain which usually eases itself out. however, on a few occasions after going for a walk - i have had slight lower back pain. please advise. thankyou kindly.

Hi Lalia

Difficult to say - it is pretty common, and it's mostly because the muscles that control that knee are now tired from being "taxed" when you run. The fact that you don't have pain when running is an encouraging sign. This is something that will hopefully go away as you get fitter and overcome the initial aches and pains of running (which are very common). You have to be careful about how much you do, and also it's really helpful to stretch your quads in particular, and do some strength work for your quads - some squats and lunges, even if it's just once or twice a week, to help strengthen the muscles.

I'd try that, and see how it goes. If the pain worsens, go back in order to go forward - back two weeks in your training, that is. Then build up again.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/03/13

Hi Lalia

Reply to fitnessdoc