Question
Posted by: meld-blessed | 2011/03/22

beginner runner

I am 3rd week into a 5km running programme. Ran for 10min and got a swollen knee and ankle. I am 108kg . Am I too heavy to be running. Must I first lose the weight before running again? What exercises can I then do besides swimming? I am so demotivated because I started to love running

I think you just need to back off and slow down on the progress, because that pain is probably a sign of just overdoing it. That may or may not be related to weight - obviously, there is a great deal more strain on the joints but it can happen in anyone.

So my advice is to back off and stick to walking, maybe repeat week 1 of the programme for a while, just allow the both to adapt and respond.

Then just build slowly. I know it's frustrating, but this is a long-term process. It might also help if you can find a softer surface, perhaps grass, to do these sessions on.

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/03/31

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc