Posted by: Sharkey | 2009-04-06

beer for babies

I am stuck and at the end of my rope. My Boyfriend and the fateher of my daughter insists that beer is good for children as this is how he was raised. This weekend we visited his folks and he gave my 8 month old daughter a little sit of his beer.

I told him to stop as it is illegal and not good for her. HIs mom and dad chipped in and said that it' s bull. The heast in the beer is good for a childs digestive system and who ever says different is a quack. Off course my Bf the agrees with his parents and they give her another sip. I then stood up took my daughter and walked away telling them that I am her mother and I say NO. He then starts fighting with me because he feels that as a father I dis respected him infront of his folks.

Now when she sees the brown bottle she grabs for it and they give her the empty bottle, laughing because they think its funny that a baby lets go of her milk and would rather grab a beer bottle.

This makes me very angry and I feel strongly about it, I wnt to tell him that if he does this again that I will not hesitate to all the cops immediately and report the whole lot to the police.

Well, your boyfriend was badly raised. Beer is not good for babies --- no form of alcohol is. Alcohol as such isn't good for children. There's some deate as to whether the pattern in France, Italy and some other countries, of allowing older children to have a litle wine with meals helps to teach them moderation in drinking, and if this has led to a slightly lower rate of alcoholism in those countries. What you describe, a baby effectively trained to grab a beer botle rather than milk, is hardly likely to encourage her to avoid drinking in excess later in life.
And as the mother, it is your right to protect your child from silly old customs that could damage her. It's sad when people are ignorant, and proud of being ignorant, and refuse to learn better

Posted by: Lauren | 2009-04-06

You should tell your boyfriend to get lost and you should really call the cops! My dad used to give us alcohol as children (not babies) to teach us not to abuse alcohol and it worked for 2 out of 3 (although I don' t have much to do with the 3rd because I don' t agree with her lifestyle). Anyway, the point is that there is a reason they don' t make baby alcohol, there is a reason babys medicines have EXTREMELY low doses of alcohol because it is not healthy. Why don' t you show this to your boyfriend so he can see how disgusting we think it is?

Reply to Lauren
Posted by: Anon for this | 2009-04-06

your boyfriend deserves a fat smack, so do his parents!

Reply to Anon for this
Posted by: Soul | 2009-04-06

What' s the matter with these people. if they don' t like the way you want things done then tell them untill they get their act together they will not see her. Your boyfriend should know better how could a father like that want this for his daughter.

Reply to Soul
Posted by: also sick of this | 2009-04-06

You are the childs mother and you have every right to dictate what you think your child should and should not put in their mouth!

The only thing I have heard about doctors saying beer is okay is when you are breastfeeding and unable to produce enough milk that you (the mother) are allowed to have a little bit of milk stout and this seems to help production of milk. (We are talking a quarter glass here though and you never give it directly to the child) And even this I am not sure how safe it is.

Do some research and take it home for them to read. Make it clear that you are the childs mother not any of them and that they must respect your wishes when it comes to the health of your baby.

Reply to also sick of this