Posted by: Tintswalo | 2009-08-27

Bedwetting in adulthood

I have a very embaraasing problem. Since last year, I have been wetting my bed at night. I have noticed that it only happens when I dream that I am in the toilet, urinating. Sometimes in my dream I ask myself whether I am really in the toilet or am I dreaming. Please help.

It may no be related to dreaming as such, but dreaming occurs at a cetain particular depth of sleep, which might be relevant. And actually, I have noticed in others that link to dreaming about urinating at such a time ( there can also be a variant, where, if you don't wake up immediately on wetting the bed, you start to dream about swimming, or otherwise being in water.

It'd be worth having a general physical checkup from a gynae / urologist, as well as, after that, perhaps an assessment from a psychiatrist ( whi has full medical qualifications as well ).

You don't mention your age or sex, as there can be various physical as well a psych causes for such adult nocturnal urine leakage.

Good day,
I am a 25 year old black female who is 1.63m and weighes 60kg. I consider myself to be a healthy person. I have been bed wetting ever since I cn remember, a dry night to me is like christmas. I' ve tried a number of things and have now come to a cul-de-sac. Urologists, Gynacologists, bed alarms, nasal sprays, tablets, stopping to drink liquids early in the day and nothing helps. Blood test, urine tests, bladder tests, etc were doe one me and everything came normal as should be. I have a normal bladder which works well, but at night things are different.

I have now come to a desperate state where I am even considering an operation is that would help solve my problem.

Kindly advise as this is affecting my life negativvely.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Posted by: Tintswalo | 2009-08-28

Thanks Shrink
This helps, I' m 37 and female with 1 child. I have also realized that it is when I' m in deep sleep (REM). Sometimes, I do recognize that I' m sleeping and wake up, and sometimes I am convinced that I am in the loo, and let go. It is not a regular occurence, this year it only happened thrice.
I will visit a urologist soon, thanks again.

Reply to Tintswalo