Posted by: Louisa | 2008-11-12

My child is now 4 years old and will be turning 5 in Jan. She does wet the bed but not every night. last night my mother-in-law looked after them. she saw that she is still wetting the bed and said to her that she must wear a pull-up during the night. she cried last night for one when we got home. My husband said that we must maybe do it because she is very embarrassed when she wets the bed. i do not agree and feel that she has been off nappies for more than a year now and do not need it and it will cause more psychological problems than wetting the bed. please give advice.

Indeed it could upset the child more ( and cause more bed-wetting ) if one makes a fuss about the occasional accident. If she's bothered about it you could ask if she'd like something to help --- for instance, one can buy quite cheaply linensavers which are like a flat nappy you lie on, and can re-use if there's no accident, but which would absorb urine if there was. Or not even that. Praising her for her dry nights, making a reward chart where she gets to place a gold star on the chart for every night she's dry, encourages her to see herself as growing up and becoming capable, and to remain dry.