Question
Posted by: WORRIED | 2008/06/12

BEDSORES

I HAVE A 70YR OLD WHO IS BEDRIDDEN. SHE IS NOW GETTING BEDSORES AND I NEED TO KNOW WHAT IS THE BEST METHOD TO CURB IT. I BOUGHT THE SHEEP SKIN BUT SHE IS GETTING SORES ON KNEES AND BUTTOCK AREAS. WE ARE TRYING TO MOVE HER AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.
SOME PEOPLE SUGGEST I USE PREP BUT I AM NOT SO SURE AS IT IS A SHAVING CREAM FOR MEN.
THANKS

Dear Worried
Prep actually works very well to prevent bedsores but you can't use this on on broken skin. You have to turn her at least every 3-4 hours, first on the one side ( put a pillow behind her back and one between the knees and ankles, then on the back, put a pillow under the knees and just above the ankles so that the heels are off the bed, then on the other side with pillows again behind the back and between the legs ) Ensure that the bed stays dry by using adult nappies if needed, and put a ring pillow under the areas where there are sores already to help it heal. Ask around if there aren't any wound care clinics or sisters in your area that can assist you with her care.