Posted by: BB | 2009-01-13

bed wetting

My four-year old son has wet the bed, which he has not done in quite some time. My fiance and i have broken up and my son is obviously under some stress. His father and I are maintaning a friendly relationship and have joint custody. I am really concerned about him lately as he is also showing signs of agression and depression. His father recently moved and it was a lot more stressful than my move 2 months ago.I am really concerned as to how to best support my child through this. We have both found other partners and i have introduced my son to my partner after knowing him for a year. My ex has only known his new partner for 2 weeks and wants to introduce them now. Please advise as to how best to support my boy.

Its common for children, especially when so young, to step back from their current level of developmental achievements to an ealier level, for a while, when u nder stress. So a resumption of bedwetting in such a situation isn't unusual, and will probably clear up on its own. But one should see this, along with his aggression, etc., as a signal of distress, and consider seeking the advice of a child psychologist for an assessment and to help you formulate an approach to sort this out. Maybe start this before introducing the lad to your new partner