Posted by: Helper | 2008-11-11

Becoming a counsellor

Hi there CS

I have decided upon my career path and thought you' d be the best person to chat to around certain aspects...

I would like to become a counsellor - mainly marriage/relationship. I have a degree in Industrial Psychology and am looking at courses I can do to become a counsellor, but I don' t know the " legal"  aspects - I found a distance learning programme called " Diploma in Counselling"  done by an institute called " Institute of Natural Healing" . If I " buy"  the course and complete in successfully, will I be allowed to set up my own practice as a counsellor and begin relationship counselling? Or do I have to go on to do my honours in Industrial psychology? I' d just like to know the parameters around starting my own business and calling myself a counsellor and being legally allowed to help people.

Thanks very much

I doubt that the institute you mention would suit your needs. Its remarkable what "qualifications" one can purchase by mail-order or on-line, which are both ineffective and unrecognized for useful career purposes. I think these days the Health professions Council licenses Counsellors ( at least they were planning to do so, not loong back, when their plans to do so sounded megalomaniacal to me ) and could advise you --- also, try calling FAMSA and asking them about current qualifcations and requirements. My impression is that the situation has been in flux for some time, and so its wise for you to check the state of play with more active players !