Posted by: Becky | 2012-11-05

Beauty spots/Beauty marks

Hi doc

Please could you advise me on the following.

I am an indian female in my mid 20''s. Ever since my teens I noticed the development of beauty spots/marks on my face and body. Some of them started as little perfectly round dots and now have sort of " splashed out"  and have jagged edges. One on my hand has faded over the years. How or why do beauty spots/marks develop? what causes them? when should i worry? also, is there any way to have bigger ones removed?

thank you so much.

Beauty spots are areas of increased pigmentation and I am not sure why it appear. You can consult a dermatologist for an examination and treatment, like laser therapy. Consulting a dermatologist is very important, when the areas have an uneven border and an uneven colour. Special care should be taken when the area is itchy and if there is bleeding present. A sudden increase in size will also be a sign of concern.