Question
Posted by: Ugly | 2008/10/07

Beauty - can I have some?

Good day Doctor
I know you must hear the usual complaints from many women on a daily basis, and I' m just one of many. But I have a problem with the way I look, to the extent that I have low self-esteem, little self-confidence and try and hide from the world as much as possible. And if forced to go out, I tend to hide behind my specs, a scarf and frumpy clothing. I am 31 years old yet look 50. I am trying to quit smoking and have come as far as just two a day. That' s an achievement in two months for someone who smoked half a packet a day. I would like to do something about my appearance, as I' m tired of being alone or in an unhealthy relationship, but also more so I can like myself and be happy with what I have.
I live in Cape Town, and would appreciate it if you could assist me in getting rid of lines, wrinkles, crows feet, some acne, pigmentation and a face 20 years older than what I am. I know this is alot to ask, but I have one more question - could you advise on regimes and programmes that would not be too costly? Thanks doc.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi “Low Self Esteem”, thank you for the question.

Congratulations on the reduction with smoking, as this is most probably your first step, in not only rejuvenating your skin but yourself emotionally as well. I am glad you would like to do something more about you self confidence and self esteem.

There have been a number of studies that have shown the psychological and emotional benefits by improving ones outer appearance. However, this is a difficult question to answer over the internet as your best option would be to consult with an aesthetic practitioner or a cosmetic dermatologist or a plastic surgeon who can examine the areas of concern and advise you on the appropriate treatment regimes. All of the complaints you have mentioned are best treated, as a general rule, with a good topical regime including glycolic acid peels, Botox, & skin rejuvenation. If you would like more information on the different treatment regimes both the anti-ageing section on health24.com and my personal webpage (www.aestheticfacialenhancement.co.za) will provide you with a more in depth view. From there you can decide on the appropriate path you would like to follow.

I still think your best option is to make a consultation as this will highlight your treatment options and the cost involved.

2
Posted by: beauty | 2008/10/13

the fact that you are a human it all that matters , believe me i used to see the so called ugly people with so much confidence than nice people. sory to say this think about someone who is blind cant, see and does not know what to do to change , wether is worth it or not , God made you the way u are, not the way u wanted to be, if God made us according to our wishes we were all going to be the same , quit smoking and be healthy , u' ll see the changes.

Reply to beauty
Posted by: Vicky | 2008/10/09

I think the way you dress also affect the way you feel.So maybe dress to hi-light your positive features and dont focuse so much on hiding but be proud of yourself and the good about you,im sure theres lots !

Reply to Vicky