Question

Beating depression without meds/ therapy?

Hi there, when I was 17 I went for two sessions with a psychiatrist who told me I had depression. It was a very dark stage in my life (complete introvert, self mutilation, crying, doing badly at school, creating bad relationships with people), but I became happier. Im now 23 and I''m starting to feel that I''m slipping into that dark place again. A lot has happened over the past three years that I''ve tried to discard, but secretly it still haunts me. Now I can feel the same feelings I felt in my teens. Is there a way to beat depression without medication or seeing a shrink (time, money and transport are major problems in my life)?

NOT getting proper treatment for a significant Depression rarely saves time or money, and involves at best a lot of avoidable suffering. Rather see someone - best of all a psychiatrist for at least the initial assessment and recommendation of treatment. A GP could then continue to provide the needed prescriptions if medication is recommended. And a psychologist or other CBT style counsellor could help you psychologically to gain control of the depression. When you talk of having difficulty in discarding some of the bad things which have happened to you, this sugests a psychological approach would be necessary.
There are some self-help books available, but they work best with mild depression, or to help you continue methods already begun in therapy.

1