Question
Posted by: Candice | 2010-05-03

Beating Cravings

I am 35 years old and am currently 8-10kg''s overweight. I eat a healthy breakfast and lunch but the wheels come off in the late afternoon at about 3pm when I tuck into chips, chocolate and anything else I can get my hands on. Are there any vitamins or other foods that I can use to combat these cravings. I would prefer to do this naturally but I am thinking of turning to diet tablets.

Dear Candice
An inadequate carb intake can lead to low serotonin levels in the brain which in turn can trigger cravings for foods like bread, sweets, chocolate, etc. By eating a low-fat, low-GI diet with a reduced energy content you should be able to lose weight successfully and not suffer from cravings or carb overloading in the late afternoon. Because it is quite a tricky diet to get used to, I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to guide you through the initial stages. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Don't start with diet pills, because they can cause all kinds of negative side-effects.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-05-03

Dear Candice