Posted by: Sammy | 2008-12-18

BBT and Conception

Good day Doc

I would like to know more about charting temp to conceive but confused on what your temp should be on waking/rest. I read the normal temp is 37 degrees C in humans and cools down at night and should be lower on waking. My temp in the past week has been 36.9 /37.0 when I take it at 5.30 am,is this normal or just too high for early morning, during the day it does go to 37.4/5. I did not start taking temp in beginning of cycle, I am sure I ovulated about 9/10th Dec as I have an 28 day cycle and started noting temp on Saturday(13th).
I am now on CD23,period due 24th Dec but hoping I have conceived as I have had intercourse 5 days &  2days before ovulation and on day ofov ovulation

I usually have pms symptoms by this time a few days after ovulation but this time nothing and period due in 6days so trying not to get too hopeful cause last month nothing happened and got disappointed but still keeping the faith

In all of that I would just like clarity what normal body temp is and what average waking temp would be and how do i use temp closer to period due date to know if conceived or not.
One last Q is about the position of the Cervix post ovulation,mine is low again but the strangest thing is the position of the shape and angel of the opening! Apologies for been graphic but my cervix almost always has a point and cone like feel to it before and after ovulation and can feel the tip/opening facing down. This month after ovulation it almost feels flatter yet firm and the tip/opening lying to the right and have to really feel to find it,I noticed this cause I' ve become very familiar with the positioning and mucus changes over the last year.

Apologies for the long question but really want a baby and willing to do all I can I am only 28years old and have very regular periods.

Normal temperature is 36 to 37 degrees and it can vary from day to day. As long as you take it at the same time of day it is fine. For ovulation, you are looking for a rise of 0.5 degrees. It is not reliable to assess whether you have conceived or not.
The position of the cervix does not really help to know whether you have conceived or not. The best is to do a blood pregnancy test on the 24th and know for sure.

Posted by: Sammy | 2008-12-20

Thanx Ruby!
Wow congrats, I pray I am this time but if not I' m just going to stop trying and counting the the stress of it all is just not worth it , it will happen when its willed,2009 I' m just going to focus on other things and let it happen on its own.
Will keep u posted though!

Reply to Sammy
Posted by: Ruby | 2008-12-18

Hey Sammy,

I hope you are preggies! Would be an amazing Christmas gift!! All the best!!

Curious, just wanna share something. We were ttc for 3 years... did everything we possible could... read everything we could... went for fertility treatment (but did not know the first consultation would be R4000 - we phoned before and they said R1000-, so never went to the next appointment, was not sure what it would cost... Anyway, to make a long story short, we decided that we will go for treatment in Jan 09 again. Kindoff gave up that it will just happen. I stopped thinking about it, stopped counting the days... Decided to get healthy, joined the gym, decided to get my six pack back (never got there though!!!) etc and then in Nov without any trying I conceived!!! I am now 7 weeks. I remember even one of my doctors telling me, just relax, stop counting etc... and I thought ja, whatever... Afterwards I read of another couple who also battled, but for many years - I think 9. She ALSO just one day decided to get healthy, started to gym, got fit and fell pregnant without treatment (she actually went for 3 IFVs and all 3 failed), they gave up on having children of their own... I think getting fit, eating healthy and taking folic acid (while trying) makes a big difference... Sorry for long post... I am just so excited that I am finally pregnant :-) R

Reply to Ruby
Posted by: Curious | 2008-12-18

I have a question - we have been ttc a while now. We do the whole charting and do you " feel"  your cervix and does it change during ovulation?

Reply to Curious