Question
Posted by: Wendy | 2011/03/04

Battling to fall asleep

My boy is 20 months old and we moved him from his cot to a bed in the same week he started creche - where they sleep on mattresses. (I thought it would be good to make the transition the same time.) However he doesn''t want to go to sleep at all now. It''s a constant battle...he climbs off the bed, opens his toy cupboard, walks around in the passages and no matter what I try, the only way he falls asleep is when my husband or I go lie with him until he EVENTUALLY falls asleep. (which can easily take up to an hour) And then he wakes up crying a lot during the night and it''s the same story over again. We never had this problem while he was in his cot. Am I doing something wrong, or is it just the change...should I leave him when he cries at night? I don''t want to " baby"  him too much...I want him to get in a routine...am I being too harsh?

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Children want one thing only - attention. As long as you are going to reward him for being awake, he will think that this is the way to get the attention he wants.

Leaving to cry is one way - albeit quite a harsh way - to do it. There are gentler ways, though. Chat to your pediatrician about the alternatives.

1
Posted by: Sleep expert | 2011/03/04

Reply to Sleep expert