Posted by: FAT FAT FAT | 2009-09-22

Dear Doc,
I' m 58yr ald female and need to lose 35 Kg' s. I have mitral valve incompetency and am adament to get rid of the excess weight but the harder I try, the slower my progress. My diet consists of:
breakf: 30 g Pronutro or oats with skim milk
mid morning: small fruit (1)
Lunch: 100 g chicken breast no skin
salad veggies to fill up
60g bread low GI
mid afternoon: 1 small fruit
dinner: 200g low fat meat - either chicken fish or ostrich
4 portions of non-carb veggies
and 60 g starchy veggies of 2 slices of low GI bread.
I do not take in 2 litres of water as I use a duretic for my heart and when I up my water I don' t seem to leave the loo!
I lose a kilo or so, but then it takes at least another 8 weeks to lose the 2nd kilo - this is driving me crazy as I am a very very dedicated dieter. I went for these powerplate sessions where the instructor measured my metabolic rate and said it' s very low.Unfortunately I' m not allowed to continue with powerplate as instructed by my cardiologist.
I had myself tested for insulin resistance as well as my thyroid functions and both is within normal range.PLEASE HELP ME

Dear Battling
The diet you describe is very high in protein which will also make it quite high in fat and energy (300 g of meat protein per day even if you use white chicken meat without any skin or added fat in preparation would provide at least 2100 kJ to your daily intake which may be too high to promote weightloss). Because of your mitral valve incompetency I would urge you to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will work out your present energy intake vs your energy requirement (seeing that you cannot exercise) and then calculate an individual diet prescription for you. Rather safe than sorry!
Holding thumbs that you can start losing now.