Posted by: Kel | 2009-03-19

Battle to communicate with adults

Dear CS,

My ex-husband and I have been seperated for 2 years now and I have been living alone with my daughter after the 2 of us out from my parents house.

As being a single mom has limited my social events :) I am now finding it hard to communicate with adults. I would like to speak to them about something other than my daughter, as she is all I have really known for the last 2 years and I want to break out of my cabin and start meeting people. I am just a bit scared as I don' t know what to speak to them about and I don' t want to come across as reserved.

Please can you give me some suggestions?

Thank you,

No harm at all in talking about your daughter, especially of the other person / people also have children. But, as suggested, broaden your range of topics, watching the news, an reading magazines, newspapers, books, etc. No harm in coming across as reserved, either. And remember --- if you show a strong interest in the other person, and ask them about themselves and their interests, and listen, they'll think you're a marvellous conversationalist, even if you have actually not said much.

Posted by: Maybe | 2009-03-19

you should find check out a few books on the bestsellers lists and read them, watch some movies out on circuit. its a start for social conversation.

Reply to Maybe
Posted by: My 2 cents'  worth | 2009-03-19

Lol  I think it' s very difficult, if not impossible for moms not to talk about their children. If they' re adults with children of their own, I think there' s nothing wrong with taking it from there, talking about your children til u find other things to talk about...

Reply to My 2 cents&#39  worth