Question
Posted by: Shnoodle | 2011/07/19

Bathing

Hi there. I have 2 little dogs at home, a mini shnauzzer x maltese boy and a mini maltese poodle girl. The shnauzzer is easy because he is black, however the little girl is impossible to keep clean since she is white. They are house dogs and are allowed up on the couches etc so it is very important that they are clean.

Currently I bath her once a week, with Bayopet shampoo in a nice warm bath (which she hates, but deals with), this also helps with her terrible skin allergies.

I just want to know if this is ok or is such frequent bathing bad for her skin, etc?

Hi Shnoodle

Frequent bathing is fine as long as you use a very mild animal shampoo. If you see any skin irritation, flaky skin etc. then reduce the frequency of washing and/or change the brand of shampoo.

It might also be a good idea to supplement her diet with omega oils to assist in reducing the skin allergy.

Kind Regards
Angus Campbell

3
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/07/25

Hi Shnoodle

Kind Regards
Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: megan | 2011/07/20

Hi, I also have a dog with allergies (a lab) and recently asked my vet about bathing her. He said try bath her once a week in summer and every 2/3 weeks in winter (using allermyl or an emollient shampoo which seems to help her allergies).

Reply to megan
Posted by: Chill | 2011/07/19

Personally I am not a fan of frequent bathing, or in fact bathing at all unless it''s for a particular health reason. In my experience, most skin conditions are only helped by medicated shampoos or other treatments, and then only when prescribed by your vet. Shampooing strips the skin of its natural oils, which serve to protect it.

If you have been shampooing regularly then when you stop she may look grubbier than before, but as soon as the balance is restored, things should improve. Give her a regular brushing, and consider getting a cover for the couch - a piece of Polar Fleece works wonders and can be washed without any problem - it''s easier than washing the dog....

Reply to Chill