Question
Posted by: Julie | 2011/12/05

Bath - question to mothers out there

Dont know if this is a question for CS but what do readers think is the ideal age for a child to run his own bath water? Mine is 8 and my husband thinks i am spoiling him by running his bath water, he baths himself dries himself puts lotion on for himself so please enlighten me

What is it about running in bath water that you think might be beyond the capacity of a boy of 8 ? As he's going to climb into it, he's motivated not to make it too hot or cold, and arranging the temperature and amount isn't awfully difficult.
I think it's an important part of growing up to learn to be trusted with chores like this. Once he has mastered it, it can be an affectionate thing to do to run a bath for him - and he could also be asked at times to do it for you.
There's a difference between implying that he's not able to do someothing, and exchanging favours and chores between competent members of a family

4
Posted by: Mom of 4 | 2011/12/07

I see no reason for you not to run a bath for him but you also need to allow him to do it now and then too. You can be present in the bathroom while he does it the first time. He is at an age to be able to do it by himself. Good Luck.

Reply to Mom of 4
Posted by: Mommy | 2011/12/05

Mine is 10 and I run it for him when I am able to if I am busy in the kitchen or with something he does it himself. I dont think there is anything wrong with you doing it for him.

Reply to Mommy
Posted by: woman | 2011/12/05

my and is 28 and l run his bath - it is an act of love.husb

Reply to woman