Question
Posted by: Linette | 2008/10/21

Basset hound

We have a bassethound male. He is almost 1 year old. It seems if he will NEVER learn to behave. We are thinking of giving him away, will he quiet down or should we let him go ? What can we do to get him to listern ?

Dear Linette

You need to take him for classes, speak to a behaviourist and learn how to train your dog. Sounds like you have been barking up the wrong tree for a year.

7
Posted by: Chill | 2008/10/22

I agree, WR - I completely fail to get the point of clicker training.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: WR | 2008/10/22

And stil I think that clicker training is just a way of hampering the training.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Melbalina | 2008/10/22

Hi Linette. Clicker training works wonderfully, and rather quickly, as it focuses on positive reinforcement, which has proven to be more effective than negative reinforcement. Many dog trainers offer this form of training. It is fun, effective and mentally stimulating for your dog.

Reply to Melbalina
Posted by: WR | 2008/10/21

IMO - Ignore the negative, praise the positive.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Chill | 2008/10/21

Sorry, meant to add:

If the dog is naughty and disobedient, the chances are that you' re telling him NO, and perhaps even punishing him a lot of the time.

Please remember, that positive reinforcement works way better than negative, so do not forget to tell him he' s GOOD whenever he happens to do something right!

Also - never ever call a dog to you when you want to punish or discipline him - it' s the best way in the world to make sure he never comes when he' s called!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Chill | 2008/10/21

You may not like this - but this behaviour isn' t the dog' s fault. He' s young, testing his strength, and needs to be trained by someone who understands how dogs work. Going to training classes will help you achieve this.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Mandi | 2008/10/21

First try taking him to training and socialization classes. This will help extensively. Also keep in mind that he is a teenager right now and will start to calm down after a couple of months.

Reply to Mandi