Question
Posted by: Nic | 2011/06/06

Basset and Fleas

I religiously use Frontline on both my Basset and Lab, at least every 6 weeks. The Lab is flea-free but for some reason the Basset still has a small infestation and only in her groin area. The rest of her body shows no signs on infestation. I have a quirky theory that I''d like your opinion on: is it possible that because the Basset is a longer dog that the Frontline is less effective in her nether regions? I use the large breed vial, perhaps I should use a Giant Breed vial and would that be safe?

Hi Nic,

Frontline is distributed by passive diffusion in the sebum covering the skin/hair. Animal/Product/Activity/Environmental factors will all influence the effectiveness of the product.

Body length could influence the distribution of the product so try the spray rather than the vial application – you'll get a more homogenous covering. Please note that no product is 100% effective. The product dose should be that as recommended by the manufacture.
Dr Campbell

3
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/06/10

Hi Nic,

Dr Campbell

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: GD Mom | 2011/06/07

Hi Nic, I dont think your theory is quirky at all. My vet recommended that I split the frontline vial, administering two thirds on the shoulderblades and one third further down the back. I must admit I have a giant breed dog through. Chills advice about sticking to the weight dosage is good!

Reply to GD Mom
Posted by: Chill | 2011/06/06

I doubt if your logic about the basset is correct because the active ingredients in the flea products are distributed systemically. The dosage depends on the weight of the dog, so be guided by that. What I would suggest is that if you''ve been using Frontline for a while, try switching to another brand for a bit - the fleas do seem to attain a bit of resistance after a while. Advantage is a good one - ask at the vet''s what others they have in stock.

You could also blitz the determined fleas with a Capstar tablet now and then - that''s very effective, but only for a few hours.

Reply to Chill