Question
Posted by: Baleseng | 2010/01/16

Basic physical examination

Hello

I teach at a school in a very rural area in the Limpopo Province. The school is poorly equipped with very little resources. The closest doctor and hospital to our school is about three hours'  drive away.

I would like to train so that I will be able to give each of our pupils'  a basic physical examination at least once per month. That way, if any of the pupils have serious problems, we will be able to arrange for them to go to a main city for more professional help. It woulkd be too expensive for us to send every single pupil to the main city, and their parents are too poor to afford it as well.

Could you please advise me what course I should do to train me to do a basic physical examination, so that I will be certified to do this? Could you also let me know what the costs are and where the course is held?

HI baleseng

I applaud your initiative, I think it's great.

I must confess that I don't know where one would go to do this, what the costs are and who does it - I'm down in Cape Town and couldn't be geographically further away! I don't even know of such a course in Cape Town.

On a conceptual note, however, I wonder whether doing a physical exam on children would pick up the issues that require further medical attention? The problem is that you would be able to do a basic assessment, but the problems may be underlying, undetected without equipment.

Nevertheless, I think there is value in a basic physical exam, and I would look at contacting that hospital to ask them about training. It's only really the medical profession that would be able to suggest how to go about this.

The other option I can give you is to contact Discovery Health - they have done a lot of work with school children to assess physical activity. It's not medical, but rather physical activity, and it would be a good start. So perhaps contact Discovery Health and speak to them - they already have a campaign there.

Oh, and then finally, try to contact the University of Limpopo. We (UCT) have had some dealings with them on physical activity in rural Limpopo, and they may be able to help with basic physical assessments.

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/01/25

HI baleseng

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc