Posted by: Baleseng | 2010-01-16

Basic physical examination

I teach at a school in a very rural area in the Limpopo Province. The school is poorly equipped with very little resources. The closest doctor and hospital to our school is about three hours'  drive away.

I would like to train so that I will be able to give each of our pupils'  a basic physical examination at least once per month. That way, if any of the pupils have serious problems, we will be able to arrange for them to go to a main city for more professional help. It woulkd be too expensive for us to send every single pupil to the main city, and their parents are too poor to afford it as well.

Could you please advise me what course I should do to train me to do a basic physical examination, so that I will be certified to do this? Could you also let me know what the costs are and where the course is held?

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Baleseng,

i am a specialist orthopedic surgeon in Cape Town and i am not sure where you could do such training- i think it is most commendable that you want to do it . The best person to ask would be dr Bets Breedt the Family Physician on this Health 24 site - i am sure she would be able to direct you

Dr Joe de Beer