Question
Posted by: Beauty Bopape | 2010/01/14

Basic physical and psychological exam

Hello Doc! I teach at a poorly staffed and poorly equipped school in a very rural area. Do you know of any course I can do to enable me to conduct a basic physical examination and a basic psychological evaluation? Hospitals are too far away for us to send our pupils if required and the school has very little resources to employ experienced personnel. I have no medical background unfortunately. Our services are largely done on a volunteer basis. I have been at the school for fifteen years and have not seen a change so I would like to equip myself. Thank you.

Congratulations on trying to achieve something so necessary for our country in such difficult circumstances. I'm not sure exactly what i is you want - a physical exam and psych exam by definition must be done and learned directly and in person, with a properly qualified supervisor to ensure you can do it properly.
I wasn't aware this was pat of any current curriculum. Are there any retired nurses within reach of you, who could help with this task ?
Otherwise, if you see yourself as teaching such things, could you arrange a visit to somewhere with a suitable clinic or hospital where the staff might be prepared to teach you what you need ?

3

I wasn't aware this was part of any current curriculum. Are there any retired nurses within reach of you, who could help with this task ?